So you’ve taken the plunge and decided that Christmas 2018 will be a hangover-free, guilt-free, joyous occasion, but you have no idea how you’re going to crack it?
Here are some of my top tips to help you wake up in 2019 happy and poison free
- Stop romanticising. You’re choosing sobriety for a reason. Alcohol is NOT your friend.
- Drive everywhere - Find some nice recipes and cook for yourself and your loved ones. Cooking takes time and effort .. you won’t have time to drink
- Avoid obvious boozefests if you’re newly sober .. if you were on a diet, you wouldn’t hang out in a bakery would ya?
- PLAN what drinks you’re going to drink. I remember clunking numerous bottles of alcohol free options round to friends houses and getting off my head on sugar. Do whatever it takes 🎄
- Listen to podcasts/webinars regarding alcohol and addiction .. it really helped me in the early days .. I’ve listed ones I feature on below
- Eat lots and stop feeling guilty. One thing at a time my friends 😘
- Do some kind of exercise every day; it's good for your mind, body and soul. On Christmas Day last year, I inadvertently joined the fancy dress park run .. and I wasn’t running or in fancy dress 🤣
- Tell people you’re not drinking. If you’re shy, lie! Antibiotics is always a good one ... unless you’re still using that excuse a year later ...
- Request people don’t buy you alcohol either as a present or in a bar - Try, where possible, not to go to an event for a prolonged period of time if you know you’re going to struggle, and always plan your exit strategy
- Don’t feel guilt for saying no. You need to look after you at this crucial time.
- A Sober Christmas is about connection; connect with your loved ones and enjoy their company rather than having a row and throwing the turkey at them .... errrr no I didn’t 🤣
- Above all, ENJOY YOURSELF! When you were 5, you weren’t pissed (I hope) and you had the best Christmas ever .. you can do it again .. promise! 🎅🏼